Thursday, January 3, 2008

Where Have All the Good Jobs Gone?

OK, so I convinced Chris not to stress about my looming unemployment until after the holidays. And, after much resistance, he finally gave into the pure joy that was our child’s first Christmas. And, he hasn’t really mentioned me standing in line for food stamps since.

Yay him!

Bummer me!

I am totally freaking out. I told myself that I wouldn’t really start to freak until January 15th. I don’t know why I picked that date in particular, it just sounded like a great halfway point between a.) There’s still a nice window of opportunity to secure a new jobby job before my company closes for good (Feb. 8th) and b.) It’s time to start filling out applications for every burger joint on the block (think they require actual cooking experience to flip meat patties???).

Sigh.

I had an incredible interview (hello, 4 hours long!) the week before Christmas and I submitted a writing test to them yesterday. But that “I have soooo got this in the bag” feeling disappeared along with writing 2007 on my checks to daycare.

I’m trying to stay calm and focus on other things (losing 500 lbs, deChristmasing the apartment, not busting my butt again on patches of invisible-to-the-eye ice) because I have learned from experience that the best way to make something happen is put out some effort and then divert your attention. Going loco never gets me anywhere.

Right now, sitting at my desk, I hear people discussing job boards, resumes and interviews. It’s THAT time.

When the initial ax fell, I felt so ahead of the game. I’d had three interviews before most of my cohorts had started polishing up their key points of interest and skills sections in their job histories. But nothing has resulted in those early, over-achiever efforts as of yet.

And now, instead of leading the pack, I feel like the one-legged player in a three-legged race. UUGGH! Job-hunting sucks monkeys.

Too bad I can’t get paid for blogging.

-smell you later-
Coop’s Mom (aka Tessa)

No comments: