Thursday, December 4, 2008

some seasonal soup for the soul

If I got one of those “get to know your friends” e-mails this AM and I were to answer the always-included Q of when I cried last, I’d say about 10 minutes ago.

I just checked my e-mail and I had a message from my mom. It’s the kind of message that captures you. Steals your breath. Gives you the freedom to let the tears fall where they may. Makes you want to hold your child, your spouse, your mom …

Leaves you in awe of God’s amazing work, his timing, his power, his infinite wisdom.

This is the stuff those great “forwards” are made from. The ingredients used in the Chicken Soup for the Soul series.

But this story just happened. This week. To my mom (for my mom?). And I just had to share …

Yesterday [Tuesday] right before I left work, I checked my email. I had a message from a friend in Lubbock, Nancy. She wrote to tell me about a dear friend of hers whose dad was in hospice here in Abilene. She asked if there was any way I could go and check on her or at least call her.

Knowing Nancy, someone who never asks for favors and always keeps things close to the vest, I KNEW I HAD TO GO. So, off to Walgreens I went … I picked up some snacks and some puzzle books, put them in a Christmas bag and went to the hospital.

When I walked in, Nancy’s friend was standing in the middle of the room crying. I told her I was a friend of Nancy's and that she had asked me to come and check on her. She grabbed me. And hugged me. And two hours later I left.

I got an email back from Nancy today [Wednesday]. Her friend’s dad passed away at 8:30 this morning.

I’m so glad I didn’t put off checking on her …


’Tis the season friends … for reaching out, looking up and loving from within.

Please remember Nancy, her friend (and her family) and my mom in your prayers today.


love & blessings everyone

No comments: