Saturday, August 18, 2007

Bill Me the Kid (Part 3.5)

OK, so it wasn’t quite the Netflix and frozen pizza night I had expected. Just after I blogged Chris and I realized Coop needed formula so we made a big night of it at Wal-Mart. And we embraced the budget!

Thanks to Mimi (my mom), Aunt Amy (my sister) and Aunt Rhonda (Chris’ aunt) we had coupons for formula AND diapers. Never a coupon clipper in my pre-baby life, I have to admit I am LOVING these precious scraps of paper.

Since you can only use one coupon per customer per purchase on the formula, Chris and I decided to work the system – hey, money-strapped moms and dads gotta’ do what they gotta’ do. =)

Acting as if we were about to execute the world’s biggest bank heist, we rallied in the frozen food aisles: Me swapping the extra coupon stashed in my purse in exchange for the cash Chris had stuffed in his wallet for groceries. I took two bottles of formula from the cart and headed to the check-out lane. Not wanting to be busted for “doubling up” on coupons, Chris and Coop trailed behind, ultimately sliding into another line three down from mine.

I thought the jig was up when my checker caught me eyeing my boys across the store and smiling. He turned around to see what I was staring at, gave me a knowing glance and then carried on. Oops, lol.

Ten minutes later we were on our way home – a $5 sub for us to share, 65-cent formula for Coop (after the coupons) and a big o’ box of $15 diapers ($2 coupon and YAY! TAX FREE).

Overall we saved $13.04 – not bad for a little covert operation in the frozen foods aisle. =)

-smell you later-
Coop’s Mom (aka Tessa)

No comments: