Wednesday, September 24, 2008

moms behaving badly

OK, I’m the first to admit I’m one of those misbehaving mommies … I have screeching matches with Coop instead of cultivating his verbal skills (unless you consider a killer screech a skill), I let him take the occasional crawl around a store when he’s had enough of the stroller (oh, the horror!) and I have yet to convince him that socks and shoes are now crucial to his toddling development.

But, come on! During the past two weeks I have been shocked by some moms’ um, not-so-hot parenting moves.

Take last weekend for example. I was at a playdate at the mall with Hillary and the kiddos, having a blast watching Coop “walk” from me to the ginormous piece of French toast and Ally (his future wife) try to sink her non-existent teeth into the side of it. But then, out of nowhere, the pants come off (not ours). An extremely tall 5(ish) little boy starts parading around the play area sans any covering below the belt (well, there was underwear …). Umm, no, in public, we wear pants. The mom didn’t seem at all concerned, and acted as if she were hanging out at home and not in a public place teaming with tots and other parents. Isn’t this the time when we’re supposed to be teaching children how to interact appropriately with others, understand common courtesy, social norms and follow the rules?

My other encounter was waaaay worse. Like Britney Spears circa 2006 worse. I was headed out for lunch when I noticed that the mom in the next car over was holding her baby in her lap. As she drove! What the &^%$!!! The baby was drinking a bottle while mom tried to steer and when she saw me looking at her, she pushed the tot’s head down out of view. I didn’t have my cell on me, so Hillary grabbed hers and dialed 911 and relayed the situation. Since when did it become OK to play Russian roulette with a child’s life?

Yes, I’m being critical. Yes, I’m being judgmental. And I confess there are days when I feel motherhood is a total whip, but even in our worst moments shouldn't we always keep our child's safety as the No. 1 priority, closely followed by teaching him right from wrong?

3 comments:

Sawatzky family said...

Oh my goodness! I hope that driving mom was caught and reprimanded! As moms weall have days were we fall way short, but hopefully never so far as to place our babies in danger! CRAZY~
Shelly

Alicia {Murry Mayhem} said...

I can't remember how I found your blog, but you crack me up! I just had a similar experience in the car yesterday! Makes me FURIOUS! You can see my post about it at:

thetacblog.blogspot.com

Alicia

Alicia {Murry Mayhem} said...

oh...forgot to tell you which post! Silly me! It's "So many things!"