Friday, March 27, 2009

impassioned plea

“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” --Mahatma Ghandi

As one can imagine, fundraising efforts across all fronts have been impacted by the economy, which means amazing programs/charities/organizations will suffer due to lack of funds, igniting the all-too-familiar trickle-down effect.

In a time where millions of people have lost their jobs, their homes, their livelihoods, my family and I are lucky. The paychecks continue to come, the roof is ours and the joy the hubs and I get from seeing our precious son smile is something that can not be measured.

We are not only lucky, we are blessed.

And, as such, we must give back.

Last year I participated in my first round of fundraising walks and the Bobcat Boogie held Saturday, April 18 will kick off round two (click here for details). It is my hope, my plea that anyone who reads this will be motivated to join me. Not necessarily in next month’s event (although that would be amazing), but in the simple act of giving to the greater good.

Our country, our communities, our friends, our families are suffering. And we have to help. Things will only start to improve when we start getting up, getting out, getting back to the way life is supposed to be — filled with passion, empathy and love for our fellow man.

Wow, I don’t know where that soap box came from, but I’ll stand on it as long as I need to. ;)

Want to get involved? Volunteer Match has a list of amazing opportunities. Click here for a list of local fundraising walks/run in the Texas area.

No comments: